Monday 17 September 2012

On being Tee-total


The issue with alcohol is a funny thing.  Neither of us are big drinkers and the thought of not being able to drink in the Sudan didn’t seem like a problem.  In Ethiopia after school had finished we would go to the hotel and have a couple of beers maximum three while we used the internet.  I think I had a vodka and tonic on one occasion.  But here, knowing that there is no alcohol is very strange. 

There are lots of café / bars where you can get delicious fruit juices and milk shakes, coffees, teas and other soft drinks but no alcohol.  A glass of rose wine would be nice or a large vodka with lots of ice and tonic but I can’t and I feel cross that I can’t.  I keep saying let’s have a beer or shall I open up a bottle of red? Or get those beers out of the fridge.  I think I am sharing my crossness.  I can’t explain it but I feel like showing off about it.  I resent being unable to have even one cold beer. 

There is of course alcohol here – the home-made kind and when we had this delicious date juice drink, our SVP friend said “Ohhhh if you leave this 3 days …..” so drinking does happen among the locals.  I miss the effects of being a bit tipsy and giggly.  I didn’t think I’d miss the social aspects of drinking either but I do. It's not quite the same getting together with people and then remaining completely sober without a glass of wine in my hand.  To add to this but I don’t like fizzy drinks or sweet juices and a tea or coffee doesn’t really hit the spot. It all adds to the excitement as Rebecca (SVP volunteer) likes to say!

However, it’s like always being the designated driver and it is quite irritating.

No comments:

Post a Comment