Monday 17 September 2012

Checking out the Pyramids at Meroe

The pyramids are in the middle of nowhere
So we drive for an hour to the Meroe pyramids.  The thing about The Sudan is that it has more pyramids than Egypt and there are no tourists.  There are 3 cemeteries on this site and unfortunately I can’t work out which one we went to; one pyramid looks very much like another!  I think it is the Northern cemetery but feel free to correct me!  There has been some restoration to a few of the pyramids (the smooth bits in the pictures) and are around 3000 years old.  Which is incredible when you think about it.

A few people sell some trinkets
There are absolutely no tourists which is also amazing.  When we pulled up a few people jumped to their little stalls ready to sell us miniature pyramids but I was badly burnt on the Lake Tana Islands in Ethiopia with these sales people and bled dry so I am never purchasing from these people again!  (Does that sound bitter? Lol)


Looking for trade
They found it

Ahead of us there were a couple of guys on camels and we saw that were joining a group of camels ready to take us for a camel ride for just 10SDp (£1.20) I was suffering from the heat; even at 5 o’clock it was burning hot and I remember going on a camel when I was 8 at London Zoo so my camel riding days were behind me, but Rebecca, another volunteer had a go.

So hot - the sand burns your feet 


Two graves

Our knowledgeable guide
I didn’t listen to the guide.  I can never take in all that information which really amounts to a list of Kings and Queens and dynasties and preferred to take photos.  There was something about the solitude of the place that struck me deeply.  To get that sense of time passing; that for 3000 years people had stood on this same spot and looked out on this same view was, and still is as I think about it now, humbling.

Amazing


Still Amazing
Sometimes I can be so full of my own self-importance, thoughts and feelings but there are some places, and this is one of them, where I am forced to see that I am a mere blink of the eye or a dot on the landscape of the universe.

So lucky to see and share this wonderful place with each other


1 comment: